Thursday, September 22, 2011

Could this be the best cheapskate deal I ever got?

Hi friends, I'm back. To update the John health saga, he has been feeling pretty good, but he is still on a soft foods diet. He is having a follow-up endoscopy today because they need to see if it is healing and they also aren't sure how he got an ulcer because both of the normal tests came back negative. So fingers crossed that things are healing.

Next, I have to brag a little. I have been having some amazing luck lately in terms of craigslist. I have been dreaming about doing a couple of fancy things to our pretend fancy (aka elbow grease and hard work DIY) kitchen makeover. I have been dreaming of 1. finishing our floors. They are halfway done, but we are losing steam. 2. A new fancy bridge faucet. Don't know what a bridge faucet is? I'll show you a picture in a second. and 3. a new chandelier to hang over my white table and red chairs.

So the other day I decided to do something crazy and put an ad on craigslist to offer a photoshoot up for barter for someone to come and finish our flooring. I think John thought it was kinda funny because it's such a specific trade and I don't think he thought anything would come of it. Well I got several responses! I am going to be talking to a flooring contractor later today about trading because he wants some photos with his sons! His wife saw the listing and I've been emailing her back and forth. How is that for awesome! The best part is that we left all of the tricky bits for him to do (lots of angles and flooring transistions).

So after that luck, I went on down my wish list. I had already searched for my dream faucet before, but let's face it, who would get rid of a faucet like that? They are pretty popular right now. Well you can of course guess that I found one! Even better, I emailed the guy to see if he would take less (he said he would) and found out that he's a plumber and will install it for us for a little bit extra! He's coming on Monday to install. Here's what the faucet looks like:

Dreamy right? Oh wait, I'm the only one who thinks faucets are dreamy??

Next, I wanted a chandelier. Our old one looked like this and was hung WAY too high:

I found a few promising fixtures on craigslist, but they were still more than I wanted to pay ($35 was too rich for my blood, I told you, I'm cheap!) So I went over to the Habitat for Humanity Restore to see if they had anything. I fell in love. I bought the fixture and hoped John wouldn't kill me since I was going to make him figure out how to wire it. :) He was a great sport about it and even gave in to me asking him to hang it last night. It turned out AMAZING. So amazing that I had to capitalize that entire word. I was online today looking over other chandeliers and found one that looks almost exactly like the one I got for twenty bucks. The price tag on this one? $651. SCORE!! I'm not showing your ours yet because you will see other projects I've been working on and I'm saving those up. But here is a picture of the chandelier that looks very similar. We put shades on ours.
So the moral of the story is to be patient and check out the cheap places. Also, it never hurts to try. So many people are afraid to just try, afraid that they'll mess something up. That, my friends, is no way to live. Take a little risk. Life is too short to be afraid of small things like light fixtures.

This courage is brought to you by a postcard I got in the mail recently from a dear friend. Thank you friend, it was one of the nicest notes I've received in a long time. Here is the quote she sent me:

"The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers.  But above all, the world needs dreamers who do."  ~Sarah Ban Breathnach

I hope her words inspire you to try something you're a little scared to tackle like they did for me. :)

6 comments:

Tricia said...

I love faucets too! (I guess we are both just a little weird!) When we redid our bathroom, I got these cool faucets with a channel so you can see the water running out. I love them!

Kelly said...

So I'll try and be happy for you because of the amazing deals you are finding, but I am also bitter because they are so beautiful!!!! So I am looking for old vintage door knobs so if you see any of those for cheap let me know. i want like 10 of them, and I want them to all look different. I will have to go and look at our habitat for humanity again. But their chandaliers were ugly and priced really high. Like $100 or more. So I pretty much think I deserve a sneak peak of everything, because I am special!!!! I'll post pictures of my dresser. I get that tonight. And I am trying to convince mom to bring me a dresser in exchange to something wonderful. I'll send you the picture.

Kelly said...

PS this is the good kharma that is finally coming your way! Where did you find the little lamp shades?

Teagan said...

beautiful you.

Valerie said...

I think you need to rename your blog to For Real Fancy because that faucet and chandelier are gorgeous! Can't wait to see how they look in your home!

the emily said...

OOOOOH, I WANT THAT FAUCET! No you are not the only one who dreams about faucets.