Sunday, October 16, 2011

At long last, the Kitchen Makeover Extravaganza!

If you want to see the entire series on my kitchen makeover, you might want to check out here and here!

Let's remind ourselves of where we came from to get this post started off right.


Hey, I've learned a thing or two about a thing or two from watching HGTV. You always make your befores look as horrible as possible. That means a sink full of dirty dishes folks. These are the lengths I'm willing to go to just for you. Heaven knows my sink never looks like that in real life....


To see the chairs makeover and the dumpster dive armoire makeover, you can go here.

 ahhh, breath of fresh air. This picture was taken on another day and the lighting was better than most of the others, but oh well.
 I used the same paint from the cabinets on the table. It is holding up great.
 The rest were taken today. I am still loving my red chairs that I made over. You can read about that here.



Are you in love with my light fixture? Because I am. Big time. That was my twenty dollar score at Habitat for Humanity.

I was super impressed that John figured out to hang it. That is one area that I refuse to DIM (Do It Myself). Electricity is scary. My hair is big enough without any accidental help.
Ah, my dumpster dive dresser that I turned into an armoire. More about that transformation here.


I had curtains here at first, but they were just not sitting right with me. So I took the roman shade from Maddy's room and decided to jimmy rig a cover and use it in the kitchen. You'll laugh, but that fabric is from the back of an Ikea duvet cover that I had sitting in my closet. ha! You might ask how I put it on the shade?
If you look really closely you'll see the answer to that question...safety pins! No I am not joking. Not only am I the cheapest person alive, but I am also possibly the most likely to short cut something.
But I really love how it turned out.
Then I bought a crab on etsy and that kinda made me happy. I dry-brushed a gold frame with the same paint I used on the bottom cabinets.

Woo hoo, I picture of the done cabinets!
I added beadboard to the back of the cabinets to add some interest, and to make my life more difficult. You know how much I love to complicate my life. (Color used on the upper cabinets is Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations Pure White, the bottom cabinets are Seaside. We didn't use any glaze on either.)


It took me a long time to get everything to my liking on those shelves. I texted pictures to my Mom and sister several times. This is what we ended up with. I love it. And maybe you don't believe me, but we use everything that you see (although granted the yellow teacups are used less frequently than other things.) :)

Oh, and there's my homemade horse weathervane on top. It is made of foam core board and a dowel. I got the inspiration from this blog, which copied the idea from Ballard designs (although I made mine with a different type of base than she did). I wanted a statement piece over the cabinets that could stand alone, since I'm not a fan of tchotkes on top of cabinets. (no offense to any of you that might have stuff up there, I just can never get it to look right).



Another view of the kitchen. Don't you love how my floors look next to the blue of the cabinets?? I also added corbels underneath. They are smallish, but I wanted them that way so that they wouldn't eat into the useable counter space underneath.
I also took out the old hardware and added these pulls from Home Depot's Martha Stewart line. They were actually quite cheap for bin pulls and I LOVE how they look.

And there she is, the love of my life (well after family, cough cough). My new faucet. Doesn't she really make the kitchen look like it's not just trying too hard. Instead, she makes everything look on purpose.


I had the most amazing luck with finding this fixture on craigslist for a fantastic deal, plus the guy installed it for us, which really ended up being worth the money, as our sink gave him a hard time (and he's a contractor!). We ended up having to add that little soap dispenser because the faucet handle was hitting the sprayer when it was off. We were both super frustrated and unsure what to do, and then I thought of a soap dispenser and he put the sprayer in the other spot. It worked out great!

I added a walmart basket on top of the fridge for some extra hidden storage and for looks.

Blue patterned plates are plastic from Target, red stripe bowl from T.J. Max, cups from Ikea, small plates from thrift stores, teacups from a garage sale. I don't think people believe me when I tell them that I get my things for really cheap. It just takes time to collect. :)


Oh lovely lovely floor. I stole the rug from our laundry room.
This is for those that wonder about wood grain. You can barely barely see it in this photo.
I tried really hard to capture it here. Like I said, it really isn't that noticeable.

Where I keep the inevitable plastic stuff that you need with kids. Genius right? Basket found at Target.

Fake topiary also a must



The teacups were an Etsy find that my Mom bought for me a while back. I love them and will take them to my grave with me. They will have to pry them from my cold dead hands. You're welcome for that mental picture. ha!

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. Now I'm going to fall on my couch and sleep for twelve hours. Painting cabinets=not for the weak of heart.

28 comments:

Lindy said...

Jen, te pasaste. OH MY WORD. Your kitchen looks so great! So hip and modern, yet vintage....just how you like it! I love the color scheme, the open cabinets, and the faucet (and the red striped bowl). You so rock and home transformations. Please pass some of your motivation and creativity my way. love ya!

Robin said...

Wow, nice. Yeah, renovations take foooorrrrever. But nicely done.

Kelly said...

WOW!!!! It looks fabulous darling! I hope you could hear the acscent in my voice. Seriously love it! I'll tell you, you just raise the value of your house by a lot! It looks great! I bet it feels so good to have it done. I moved our room around over the weekend, and I feel like a new person!

luvnmy10 said...

So pretty!! totally worth the wait! I love the colors and dishes and the WEATHER VANE!! I need one of those, as I, too, do not like clutter stuff on top of cabinets, especially fake greenery--too hard to maintain and keep clean, I think a foam weather vane is in my future! You did a wonderful job and should feel very proud of yourself. I hope we get to see you at least sometime over the winter.

maugers said...

beautiful! Nice work, I think you did a great job.

Katamaran said...

I LOVE IT! I seriously was oooo'ing and awww'ing to myself, this is AMAZING! You're wonderful! Can I just come hang out in your kitchen for awhile? :0) hehe! You guys did a fabulous job, it reminds me of the beach! Crips, clean, inviting, relaxing, it's so wonderful...Thanks so much for sharing your home with us! All your ideas and struggles, wow, you've filled my head with so many ideas!

K said...

It is beautiful! I wish you could come decorate my house!

the emily said...

JENNIFER. THIS IS FANTASTIC! Seriously! I am DYING over this! And yes, the capitals mean I'm yelling. I love it! The teacups/red/gray/yellow/white....it all goes together so well. I love your baskets and floors and light and FAUCET--HOLY AMAZING--and just everything! You are so awesome!

Also, I'm curious to find out how you like the open shelves by the stove. I really love the way it looks but I can't imagine having it. I feel like everything would get so dusty/greasy/etc.

Carrie said...

It looks beautimus!! Of course your picture taking ability helps too! But it really does look nice. I appreciated the close up of the door fronts. All the colors are so pretty. Makes me want to rethink my kitchen colors :-). The guy came out from Home Depot to give us an estimate on refacing our cabinets, but he wouldn't because I have such crummy cabinets!! So now I'm not quite sure what to do
:-/

Anyhow...everything turned out so very nice. You can be proud of yourself for anjob well done :-)

Melanie and Jared said...

AMAZING! I like the color of the cupboards. And I still like the kitchen table. Very inspired. Way to go!

Anne said...

Love it!

Missy said...

Oh wow! I need your drive and creativity!! Or just come visit me! I could never pull off the no doors on the cabinets but you obviously can! Love the colors!

Centsational Girl said...

Oh my goodness girl, are you fabulous or what? What an amazing transformation, you should definitely pat yourself on the back many times cause that is one fine looking kitchen mekeover!!!

Bravo, so delighted to read this!
xo
Kate

Sarah @ The Bird's Papaya said...

LOVE! can you email me the color swatch of the lower cabinets? we've been contimplating the color "seaside" by the Cabinet Transformations...but I love this color...could they be the same!?
thebirdspapaya(at)gmail(dot)com
THANKS :)
Sarah

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

Hahahaha! My favorite part is the awful before pictures! Hilarious!

Your kitchen's not too shabby either...

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Oh my Word!!! Just fabulous!!
Every single detail....
Great Transformation!! ( & you girl, are hilarious... I laughed thru it as I was amazed by the gorgeous-ness of it all)
Mind sharing the color of the bottom cabinets?? We are re-doing a cottage & I think that is something I might like to use...
(stopping by from MMS)

Cathy Wall said...

This is fabulous! Love your colors and am partial to those red chairs! I agree, taking your time to collect things allows you to acquire things for the right price! Nice work

Cathy

Anne said...

Love that blue!!! What a pretty kitchen you have.

Erin said...

love your kitchen!! It does take awhile to collect. My friends also can't believe how I get my stuff so cheap!!

~Erin

Mariaelena said...

You did such a good job..I found you over at Jennifers...I'm there too...we just got started last week...love what you did...enjoy it for a long time...:)
Mariaelena...going back to follow and look around some more...come on over and visit...Mariaelena

Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com said...

I love the blue color you chose for the base cabinets. I just love what you did. It looks so fresh and cottage-y! Can you share the paint brand and color?

Carol aka Big Mama said...

Again I love it! I so want painted cabinets but I'm skeerd! And I think I'll be able to call in sick tomorrow - I'm so green with envy over that faucet!

thedomesticfringe.com said...

Oh, my goodness! This is gorgeous!!! I adore your red chairs. I cannot believe how huge a difference you made in your kitchen. I absolutely adore it. Can I move into your kitchen? ;-)

~FringeGirl

Brei said...

Looks great! You did a wonderful job styling the cabinets!

Calypso In The Country said...

I love what you did with your kitchen! That cabinet color is just gorgeous and I love the touches of red. I was also cracking up over your comments to make the "before" pictures as bad as possible! Great job!
-Shelley

Budget Design Girl said...

Absolutely STUNNING!!! What a gorgeous job you've done on your kitchen! You need to take a bow!
Just found you via TDC. I will be following you now!
xo-Lisa

Celsey said...

Just stumbled upon your kitchen transformation... Where did you get the glass jars for your baking supplies? I love the steel/metal(?) lids! I can't find any like that.

Unknown said...

I just found your kitchen on Pinterest. LOVE LOVE LOVE the blue/gray color of the cabinets. Your makeover is fabulous. I too would love to know the brand and the color of the base cabinets. Could you email me or post the information? Thanks!