Tuesday, October 25, 2011

don't give the mouse the cookie

Have you ever read the perennial classic, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie? If not, you are not only missing out on one of the best kids stories ever, but also an allegory of truth and woe.

Yesterday I decided I wanted to move our old timey radio (that's what we call it) and had the brilliant idea that it might fit into the built in next to the fireplace. This is what that ended up looking like:
 in case you were wondering, yes I did measure. There is a lip on the front of the shelf though and it just barely couldn't squeeze past. And also, yes I did try to do this myself. I sent John this picture in a text and said, "Um, not one of my better ideas..." He's used to me by now.

So anyway, just as in the story of that tiny rodent that began by only wanting something as innocent as a cookie, pretty soon I had to start moving all sorts of things around and by the end of it I somehow decided to change my formal living room into an office/craft room/photography area. I'll post some pictures soon.
this is what the kitchen started looking like during the process. See? Just like the book!

Luckily for the mouse and for me, their partners in crime don't wring their necks by the end of the book/moving stuff around. Although I think he was tempted.

10 comments:

Melanie and Jared said...

HAHAHA I don't think I could handle all that change all the time. I barely like moving the couch a little for the Christmas tree. That is so funny that he comes home to find the house rearranged all the time.

Teagan said...

That just happens to be my favorite children's book.

luvnmy10 said...

I love rearranging, gives the room a fresh look, plus I vacuum the baseboards and dust everything, so it s o nice nd clean along with a little different. Go on, give the mouse a BIG cookie!

luvnmy10 said...

I love rearranging, gives the room a fresh look, plus I vacuum the baseboards and dust everything, so it s o nice nd clean along with a little different. Go on, give the mouse a BIG cookie!

luvnmy10 said...

Third time is the charm! Don't know why my comment posted twice, sorry!

Kelly said...

That picture pretty much cracked me up! Something I would totally do! Except I wouldn't let anyone know! lol. Love the analogy!

Kellie said...

lol! I rearranged my entire living area about a week ago only to find out that it didn't work and then moved everything back. If you give a mouse a cookie...

Carrie said...

sooooo funny! I saw the picture and cracked up! I too love that story! I bought the other books because I liked the first one so much...and I don't even have kids at home :o) But I DO have grandkids that visit from time to time ;-)

Tara, Doug, Isaac, and Lucy said...

Jenn, I am so i love with your beautiful kitchen and dining area. So amazing. How could you doubt your creativity? Truly, I can't fathom that.

the emily said...

Hi-larious! We have the whole collection thanks to Chick-fil-A kids meals.