Wednesday, November 30, 2011

some mickeys were harmed during the making of this blog post

Yes, I'm sorry to tell you we have had a casualty over at our house. Let's have a moment of silence.
This is Maddy's toothbrush holder. I won't name names, but somebody of the tiny variety broke it while I was trying to wash their filthy baby hands. I knew we were in big trouble because this toothbrush holder is much beloved. So I did what any mature parent would do....I left it and pretended like I didn't know anything about it when Maddy came asking what happened. Daddy promised to fix him (probably because he secretly loves that thing more than she does), and all is right with the world again. Well, except for Mickey. He looks like he got taken down by some sort of cartoon mafia.

Anywho, I have been m.i.a. lately, but not for lack of awesome projects (like gluing mickeys back together). I've been busy working away and thought it was time to give a sneak peek. I'm done with most of the projects I've been doing, but still have to hang one final thing. So sneak peek it is.

You know what this means right?? Oh yeah, we added some more moulding to the house. I may never be finished adding stuff like this until my entire house is covered.

So this is our entryway. I fell in love with this picture on pinterest:
And since we have such a small entryway, I thought this would be a perfect way to make it stand out. I knew the key to awesomeness would be 1. the chunky top molding, and 2. the three awesome wreaths. We accomplished both, although my top molding is not quite that thick (as you can see by the photos above--it's the piece of unpainted wood), but I'm at peace about that (mostly).

Another pinterest victory? Here's the inspiration photo:
So pretty. I didn't have a vintage looking carrier like that one, but I did find a jam jar holder for a few bucks at Walmart and my little wheels started turning. This is how my version turned out.

This is a bad cell phone picture of it, but I was fairly impressed with myself. I bought fake moss for goodness sakes...if that doesn't make me crafty, then I just don't know what will.

In other pinterest obsession news, I found these free printable labels and they are awesome. I bought a little do-da from ebay that turns normal paper into stickers and made them into holiday tags. It was pretty much the coolest thing I've ever done, just ask Maddy. Anyone who can make stickers out of thin air is pretty much awesome in her book.


Lastly, here is the sneakiest peek of all:




I bet you can guess what I've been up to. Hopefully this Habitat for Humanity beauty will be hung tonight (transformed of course). Free paint, super cheap fixture? Sounds like another match made in heaven around here.

So now you're just about caught up. What do you think, are sneak peeks more fun than waiting forever for the final reveal, or do you just like the final outcome?

6 comments:

John & Jennifer Savage said...

Looks great honey! Thanks for not mentioning that Mr. Math here was 1/4 inch off in his measurements and we had to get the extra-large switch covers to hide the gaps...

Tooele Brezoff said...

LOVE IT!!!
Can you come and do it all to my house?!

the emily said...

Poor Mickey. I think I'm stealing the 3 wreaths idea, though there's nothing I can do about the moulding.

Kelly said...

Now I know how you feel about my babies room reveal. I'll take pictures as soon as it is light outside and my camera doesn't take wierd shadow pictures! I am dying to see the reveal!

Missy said...

I can't wait to see your entry! Love that moulding! And I really want to see what you do with that light cuz I have one just like it in my entry that I've been dying to replace. Maybe I just need to paint it. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

Tricia said...

Can I just tell you that I LOVE reading your blog!!! It makes me happy! You are so creative and I think you need to move here so you can come decorate my house! By the way, my laundry room cabinets turned out okay - not the best paint job in the world, but I like it anyway!