Thursday, December 15, 2011

Hope

This is just one of those posts that sometimes you have to write. Sometimes there are sunny days and sometimes there are some gray ones. Some days the blessings are easy to see, and sometimes they are a bit disguised and you have to look a bit harder. That's ok, because that is how life goes.

So, John lost his job yesterday. A week before Christmas. Right after he got back from a business trip that he has yet to be reimbursed for (okay, I am bitter about that part...I know they will reimburse it eventually, but could it have come at a worse time of year?) Were we shocked about it? Absolutely. Did we panic? Uh, yes. Did I do the ugly cry? I plead the fifth (no one should be outed on the ugly cry). Do I know what the future holds for us? Absolutely no idea.

But.

Do I feel peaceful today? Yes. Despite my usual propensity to freak out to the nth degree, somehow I am calm today. I feel like I have gotten the captain's portion of courage and peace and strength.  I don't know where it is coming from, (okay, well of course there has to be some heavenly interference on my behalf on this) but somehow I know it will be okay. That doesn't mean that I don't have moments where the reality of our situation hits me and the bottom drops out of my stomach. That doesn't mean that I look at the presents under our tree and feel kind of sick. I have those twinges. But overall, I can't believe how calm I feel.

Our plan is to try and find John another job here in Charleston because we are fairly sure we would not be able to sell our house for the amount that we would need to sell it at this point. Does that mean we are 100% not going to move? I don't know. But for now, we are trying to exhaust our options here. I am optimistic that someone will want to scoop up a genius programmer like my husband.

The good news is that thanks to a friend in church we were able to have John's resume hand walked into a great company that emailed him the same day. He then set up a time and talked to them today as well. He finished the programming test they sent him and said that they will set up an interview with him next week. That interview was just the boost we needed to help us feel less frightened by the whole process. Someone likes his resume enough to call the same day. We can do this.







Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all.  ~Emily Dickinson  




  

8 comments:

Katamaran said...

My prayers and hope are with you, every day!

Emily Foley said...

Good Lord, and I mean that in a prayerful way, can 2011 just be OVER for you?

I mean really.

Missy said...

Way to be! Any company would be lucky to have John. It will all work out. Stay strong! Love u!

Teagan said...

Praying for you too. Things will work out. They will, they will, they will. But you know that.

Jodi & Chris Reeve said...

I understand the calm. There is calm for those who are prepared. I remember all the gifts I returned to the store when Chris was layed off 3 years ago at Christmas, and yet, somehow it was one of our best Christmas seasons. We are praying for you!

Gabrielle said...

Loves. I get this. I am very sorry, but it always does work out!

Mona said...

I am brand new to your blog and was so sorry to hear about the job loss. I am definitely praying for all of you. It sounds like God has already given you some of that 'peace that passes all understanding'. His eye is on the sparrow and it's on your family, too. ~_~

Kelly said...

Great post! Now that sounds awful at a time like this and that is not how I mean for it to come out, but when I was praying for your family last night as well as my own, I couldn't help but just feel peaceful about it. I don't know how or when life will settle down, but I know that it will be good! Love you!!! PS good thing you have a sister that wants you to have a good Christmas. I hope you are still able to come, if not you better to tell me so I can send your presents.