Tuesday, January 24, 2012

hmming and hawings

Things to do (instead of wasting time writing a blog post, but whatever):

make my bed
do the dishes
tidy up the rest of the house
play with kids interspersed the chores
feed the kids interspersed the chores
finish washing clothes, sheets, towels
make guest bed for John's brother who is coming today and staying for a while
take a shower?
make dinner
spray paint this shelf thingy that I got at Goodwill a while ago
decide if I'm going to take the plunge and paint one wall of my tiny bathroom dark navy blue, based on this inspiration photo (we are definitely doing the shelves in our own cheap hack way). I have never been scared of paint, but navy blue scares me. Scares me people!



My major concern is that this toilet was custom built with that fabulous molding behind it and I think it would look bad if I painted navy blue all the way down to the floor--I feel that it would not capture this look. So...I am weighing my options. I am considering beadboard wallpaper (pros: cheap, easy, cute. cons: might look weird in my miniscule water closet because there is no beadboard in the main bathroom). I am also considering doing faux molding like we did in Maddy's old room in Tooele. (pros: easy, cheap, potentially look a lot like picture. Cons: again might look weird in tiny room, and can't decide if I should just do it on one wall?)

Okay, so there's a glimpse into my really indecisive mind. If you have opinions you may leave them. Or better yet, if you have a new idea let me know. Just don't tell me you hate the inspiration photo. I'm on the line as it is people, I need good stuff!

Over and out. :)

8 comments:

Teagan said...

I love crisp white with navy blue. I like this image here: http://www.fivestarpainting.com/designtips/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Meg-Braff-navy-blue-family-room.jpg

Did you notice the bright green accent. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Hedgeapples!

Emily Foley said...

Noah's room in Clearfield (before I moved him in with Isaac) was navy blue. I just did it halfway up and then lighter blue on top. Then with the extra paint I painted an accent wall in Isaac's room navy blue--the wall with the window. And walking into his room was like walking into a soul-sucking black hole. It was awful. It looked so terrible. I still can't figure out why Noah's looked good and Isaac's didn't. But I think a whole wall of navy blue is not the way to go. (you can see Noah's room in this picture: http://emilyssomething.blogspot.com/2009/03/happiness-issunlight.html )

I think faux beadboard would look awesome. With it being such a small room you would only need it on the one wall, I think. I bet you could make it look awesome.

Take a shower is always on my list. I can't handle myself if I haven't showered.

Kelly said...

I think I need to see a picture of the bathroom to make my best recommendation. I like the inspiration picture though. Seriously can't wait until I have nice walls! lol.

Lori said...

I have this little half bath down stairs that I just haven't ever been able to figure out what to do with. I love the shelves idea. Maybe one day I will get to it. Cause our bathroom is just pathetic! Seriously, we have cheap white towels from Walmart that I accidentally dyed pink from some tablecloths and that's as far as I 've gotten. Oh and some t.p. that sits on the counter 'cause Jacob will spin it all if it's on the roll. Pathetic!

I like the navy blue paint. And if you do bead board wall paper take a picture (take a picture anyways cause I always want to see your decor projects!).

BexxT said...

hmmmm... if you remove the water intake from the back of the toilet (the tank refill hose) you should be able to fit the molding in behind the tank if you dremel out the hold for the hose to come back through. Most toilets have the clearance in the back to fit the molding there (I know I could install that at my house pretty easily). If you want the shelves too, I would 100% suggest doing it in two easy pieces. Get the molding installed, then affix the shelving unit.

Also, Jenn, I need to paint a shelving unit in my bathroom (it is inset in the wall, used to have cupboard fronts, but took those off years ago). I need a fast cover primer and paint recommendation. I would prefer to spray it, assuming it doesn't get streaky. Email me! (I can send photos if you need an idea of how ugly this thing is)

Melanie and Jared said...

Maybe if you paint the whole wall first you can see if you like it or not. Then if you don't like it then you can decide what to do

Tricia said...

GO FOR THE NAVY BLUE!!!! I think the beadboard would be okay even if you don't have it in the other bathroom. I think you can pull it off!!!

Dee in BC said...

I say "go for it". It's only paint. I you hate it when it's done ( or start to dislike it own the road )it won't take too much work to paint over as the space is so small. My personal experience is that it WILL take a a good stain blocking primer to cover the navy.