Tuesday, March 6, 2012

bookcase surgery


Aaaah! I bet that was your reaction when you opened up this page. ha! This was right after we moved, but I found it and thought, wow that will really make anything I've done to this room look fantastic. funny funny

So this was how it looked for a while. But it still bugged me. I hated the bottom portion. It looked, well...like I stuffed a shelving unit into it. These built in shelves are such a great thing in theory, but they are so deep that they end up causing me headaches as to what to put on them without it looking weird. I tried everything in them. Finally I told John that I was going to do what I have wanted to do since we moved in--I was going to fashion false backs to make the shelf depth shallower.
So I used some beadboard we had and John helped me get it cut to the right specifications. And then I painted it with one of my sample pots of blue paint.
And I lined up a bunch of white dishes so they would pop against the blue.
And add a bit of country charm to my living room.
Did I ever show you this basket? I got it off craigslist for something like six dollars. It is HUGE and I love the lady who sold it to me. I don't know her, but I love her. This basket is amazing.
Most dishes found via thrift stores and a few from Target.
I decided that since I was going to keep the deep taupe on the wall that I still needed some blue. This was my answer to that.
We originally only did the top two shelves, but I finally convinced John that it looked weird without the bottom shelf done as well. Once it was up he agreed.
Lastly, a close up of one of the dishes I found a few days ago from goodwill. I love it. I just have no idea what it was used for? It doesn't have a spout so I don't think it's a gravy dish, and it's quite narrow and not as big as a bowl. Do you know what it is?? Whatever it is, it's pretty. And I love my new living room shelves.

9 comments:

luvnmy10 said...

Gorgeous! How come you never give me helpful hints when you are here?! I wouldn't be offended, just grateful for some advice--deal, next time you come, you have to come when we both have time to devote to my decor and when we can chat and relax and go for walks and stuff! I love love love the blue color and the white dishes, what is it about those two colors together--so soothing!

luvnmy10 said...

Gorgeous! How come you never give me helpful hints when you are here?! I wouldn't be offended, just grateful for some advice--deal, next time you come, you have to come when we both have time to devote to my decor and when we can chat and relax and go for walks and stuff! I love love love the blue color and the white dishes, what is it about those two colors together--so soothing!

liz said...

I love your talent and creativity. I wish I had an eye like yours. I laughed at your first pic because that is what my house looks like all the time!!! Maybe it's a butter dish, it's hard to judge the scale.

RaeLynn said...

this freaking fills my heart with happiness. i need a house. now.

The Luckiest said...

AH, I didn't get a chance to comment on your question about painting the walls blue, but this would have been my suggestion (well, to use the blue as an accent). As someone who just painted over pale blue walls, I would strongly advise against painting a whole living space that color. It's just tricky to get it right, and it is so much more special and interesting as an accent. It could not look more perfect with your current wall color. Well done, once again! :)

Missy said...

Love this! You are so dang creative and full of ideas! The blue pops and is just awesome.

Emily Foley said...

Okay I LOVE those white dishes up against the barely blue background. Gorgeous.

Valerie said...

What a clever woman you are! And I love the blue color too. I was thinking that dish might be great for holding breadsticks but I can't tell how big it really is, so maybe not. ;)

Kelly said...

Love the blue color. What I would do with that dish is when having parties I would put utensils in napkins tie them with rafia and put them in that as a holder/ display.