Thursday, March 8, 2012

Once upon a time

 there was a girl who really wanted to get her daughter an art table. She looked high. She looked low. She finally gave in and bought a table on Amazon. It came and it was smashed on one side. And she just didn't quite love it anyway. While she was contemplating what to do with that table,  she decided to check craigslist one more time. When what to her wondering eyes should appear, but a Pottery Barn table and three little reindeer, I mean, chairs.
 So yes, this is my story. I know, I know, you're completely shocked I was talking about myself. Anyway, I decided to get the replacement piece to the table I ordered from Amazon and I'm going to sell it and I got this set for super duper duper cheap. I was so excited because I had been gazingly longingly at the sets online, but as we all know, Pottery Barn Kids stuff is very expensive. (and honestly, I think it is probably worth the price, these chairs are extremely sturdy and well-made). I just don't have that sort of money to invest in tiny people furniture.

Anyway, we have been thrilled with our lucky find, but one thing has been irking me.

Remember these chairs? Well they are not being used at the moment except as a computer chair. I really like these chairs, but you might notice that this color of red and very different than the little chairs' color of red. See exhibit B below.

So, I am trying to decide which, if any, of the chairs I should paint. The paint on the red chairs if fairly chipped (you can't tell in the photos, but in person it is obvious), but I love the deeper color.  I am thinking I will keep them as is for the moment and possibly replace my computer chair. The red chairs aren't the most comfortable for computing. We will have to see.


 Meanwhile, we just enjoy our table. This was my version of their fancy twirling art caddy. I mixed a few ideas I found online from other bloggers, but basically it is a lazy susan (bought at walmart), a cake pan (cheapest one, bought at walmart as well, only 98 cents!), and four pencil cups bought at the dollar store. I glued the cake pan on with some super glue and left the pencil cups loose so Maddy could take them out and put them closer to her coloring space. She loves it and so do I.

See, there are happy endings after all.

i know...you love the cheesy jokes. heh :)

7 comments:

Robin said...

That is one fine looking table. We ended up buying a super cheap adult table and chopping the legs down to size. They were straight legs, so it didn't matter too much. It's great cause it's a decent size, but also has a fold out leaf!

I like the deep color too. I painted a bunch of mismatched kid chairs white so they'd all match. In retrospect, I do like deep chairs. Nice visual interest.

luvnmy10 said...

lucky you!! your room looks so light and pretty!

Emily Foley said...

I like the darker red. So pretty. I can't believe you found that on CL. I need to start one of those in my town.

maugers said...

I like the table, I think you should paint each little chair a different color :) I love that about little kid tables. Paint one the red, then maybe a yellow, blue, and green? Also, I laughed when you said you recognized my coat (it's probably time for a new one :)

Kellie said...

very exciting!

KristenG said...

I love your art supply holder. It is super cute and really easy to make.

val said...

can i comment on every post? oh good.
for the love! this little table. i'm drooling over. i love the color of it and the chairs. it makes me want to come over and draw and color. can we? ;)