Monday, April 16, 2012

my sister would have sent out search and rescue if I didn't start blogging again



So. I am back. (today at least!)
  Back, and talking about my recent ikea finds. I bought this great shelf and found the other things from around the house, except for the carved whale and map. I found both of those at TJ Maxx for really awesome prices. Seriously, that map was $8.
 This is not a table, and it's not technically a bench either, but that's what we are using it for. It is one of ikea's versions of a media console. But it is a great height for putting on some shoes and I love the sliding drawers. So does my one year old-- not surprisingly. I think he keeps hoping he'll find some illicit treasure that is not supposed to fall into his baby hands. He knows most stuff in drawers is off limits. So he likes to check their contents several times a day just in case someone slipped up and left a hammer and some nails, or some toxic chemicals in there. hey, a baby can dream.
 I added the cushions for some color, but honestly, I think it could use a bit more color. I don't know. Maybe I hung things too high? Or maybe it's perfect. I am living with it for a while to see what I determine.
 funnily enough, the reason I wanted to go to ikea in the first place was a computer chair, and the day before going to ikea, I checked craigslist one more time and found this dream chair for $15. Craigslist, you managed to save the day again!
Perhaps you recall that I am forever changing my front room and my dining room? Yeah...I did it again. I don't know why these two rooms haunt me, but they do. I finally figured out that I needed two round tables, because the little cute Pottery Barn craft table I bought for the kiddos wasn't working out (Mr. Grant is too tall and could reach all of the coloring supplies). So...I got another round table and life is pretty excellent. Here is where my desk ended up. In a nice cozy corner in the front room. I think this photo makes me realize that a picture would look good hung above the computer screen. hmm...
 a recent thrift store find. i don't drink coffee or tea, but I love these things. they came with the weird goblet cups. I think I'll end up using them for paint water cups for Maddy. She will be doing her aquadoodles in style now. ha
 here's the new round table.  It was a great price and it surprisingly sturdy for a pedestal table.
 and good ol' shelfy ended up back in her corner. I missed her there. She just looked too bulky in the front entry way.
 and here's the new front room. This round table is now an arts and craft table, and we moved Maddy's easel in here too. It's a quirky room, but I like it. hi red chairs, you were missed. hugs
 there's my secret desk corner. it's nice to be close to Miss M while she does her coloring, and Grant can wonder around, banging on surfaces with whatever utensil he has managed to find, to his heart's content. It's a good set up.
 oh yes, lest we forget the "moody pencil holder" shot. i dunno, the lighting seems a little moody to me in this photo. just me? dah well
 the chalk for her chalkboard. really, i just wanted an excuse to take pictures of pretty rainbow colored chalk. mission accomplished
and there you go, tour finished. Whenever I start to feel a little nerdy about my house hobby, I remember this quote by the inspirational Dieter Uchtdorf. He once said:

The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before.

Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty.

Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty—
So true. Thanks Dieter.

9 comments:

Emily Foley said...

I love your bench, I don't think it needs more color. But in a week when you decide to add more color, I'm sure I'll love that too. I love everything you do.

Rachel Keyser said...

You're making me sad that I sold my pedestal table. :( Just didn't work in our newer house. Also, our Japanese apartment is ALL Ikea. We have the same tv console, but 3 drawers wide (in black). It would totally make a great bench. I'll have to remember that!

Teagan said...

You know what would be neat. If you hung your pictures with thick black satin. I tried to find a picture to show what I mean and this is the closest thing to it:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-F1h__1mPgfc/Tc2d0cyU-2I/AAAAAAAABSE/sf2mW_5t2sc/s640/IMG_5020.jpg

I'm not sure how you feel about bows but knots would be great too!

luvnmy10 said...

Welcome home, I've missed you. Your home looks fabulous, as usual.

The Luckiest said...

I adore your whale and new dream desk chair!! You have incredible Craigslist luck :) I think a small hit of red could be fun in your new entry set-up. It would coordinate with the red chairs at the art table which may be making the entry seem not colorful enough. But truly, it looks great as-is! xo

thedomesticfringe.com said...

I adore your red chairs! They are my absolute favorite.

maugers said...

I might have said this before, but seriously... come do my house! If you ever just want a picture to obsess over and start decorating in your head... I have a HUGE problem area called our family room. please?

Tara, Doug, Isaac, and Lucy said...

As always, the rooms look great, and i love the quote. It's sad that i don't create as much as I want to. At least I create blog entries sometimes, but I would like to figure out some way to write in some currently non-existent spare time.

val said...

Beautiful!! The map, the shelf, the red chairs, your white desk, the pedestal table, your new office chair!! Love. Great quote too.