Thursday, May 17, 2012

around here lately


 This post will probably be some more random. Random posts work for me these days. So here are some photos that tell what I've been up to lately. Above is the necklace I made with my very own two NON CRAFTY hands dangit! I had to use chemicals and I messed them up several times before they worked, but by golly, they got to my Mom on time. My brothers noticed that their silhouettes ended up being smaller, which was not done because they are less cooler--(although let's face it, it's true) but because I went in order of age, and it just happened to look better small, large, small, large. (or less favorite, favorite, less favorite, favorite). Just kidding! I love how it turned out. So did mom.
 My Dum Dum bouquet Maddy made at church. She took care of the two mystery flavors for me because she didn't want me to accidentally get any yucky ones. She's a thoughtful one, that girl. :)
 Breakfast in bed. With a fancy silver tray. My favorite Eggs Benedict. I'm a lucky girl.
 We tried to tell him that is not how you eat a cob of corn, but he insisted. Such a city kid.
 Ate some fried green tomatoes, and seriously, they were amazing. WOW
 She still sucks her thumb. We are working on it, with less than stellar results. I'm not worried--both John and I were long-time thumb suckers, and we still managed to learn how to be successful humans.
 This kid is climbing on everything and trying death defying feats of babydom that make me have more gray hairs everyday. He is THAT boy. Holy moses.
 I can never get enough of the colors of the ponies all lined up for playtime. "Which one do you want to be Mommy? You can pick from alllll of them."
 Throwing my nicely arranged pillows off my couch. Happens first thing in the morning. Every morning.
 Someone picked me a flower from the yard.
 Went to the Depot and got some wood cut. My mother's helper is going to change my life. I might be able to do projects again! We are attempting a headboard.
 My primed lamp. I want it to look like a silver trophy. First spray paint was a disappointment. Second choice was much better. Choose chrome my friends, not silver.


You can see the faint outline of the curly villain-esque mustache that I drew on John with Non Crayola washable markers. Apparently the few extra twenty cents you spend on name brand markers may be worth it. We had to scrub it just to get it down to one jaunty purple swirl on his cheek.

So, what's been on your mind lately?

14 comments:

Amy said...

These random posts are my favorites! I love all the pictures and your thoughts as well. Glad to know that I was not the only finger sucker that had a hard time giving it up. I love it that you drew a mustache on John- and that your Grant is up to the very same antics as my Ryan. I am grateful to know that I am not the only one. Thanks for keeping it real. I really wish I could have you as my next-door neighbor. Maybe someday. Until then I will just bask in your South Carolina-ness and reminisce on my days as a local there. Good times.

Jodi & Chris Reeve said...

Sorry you have been dealing with drama lately. I dread drama. I would rather live in a dark hole all alone than deal with drama of selfish people who are only looking out for themselves. Guess that defines selfish, ha. But, you are a great person and we all have our faults, no one is perfect and I think everyone just needs to be a little kinder and more loving, like Pres Hinckley used to say.

Missy said...

Love you, Jenn. I love your random posts (and the explanations...you are do darn funny) and being open. I know we had our one bad patch but I'm glad it didn't define the friendship, like you said. I wish we were neighbors again. I miss you and for sure didn't take advantage when we did live so close! I was just telling Shawn we should take a trip out to South Carolina. He said, "And do what?" I wouldn't even care! It would be fun to hang out again. Hopefully I can make that happen someday!

Melanie and Jared said...

First of all, you are super funny. I love how you said you guys turned out to be normal humans! People get caught up in what their kids should be doing too much (me). It's awesome to just let them do their kid thing and some how they might survive. Also, that baby of yours grew up. What happened? Wasn't he a newborn yesterday? Seriously, I feel like I missed something.

BexxT said...

<3 You

maugers said...

I'm still laughing from the permanent marker mustache :) What possessed you to draw that in the first place? And he let you! That's true love right there :)
So, frenemies... your definition was right on, and I agree that you should quietly leave the relationship. I realized lately that I have a few friends that I believe are perfect (really perfect :). I know that envying is bad, so I purposely try to find things that they do wrong... and then I focus on those (to fool myself that they are not perfect). But, then I focus on the negative too much and end up not liking them! It's a horrible mind game and I'm trying to get out of it. So, that's what's been on my mind. I'm trying to be positive and "if I can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!"
I thought I would have outgrown these things :) I guess that's why we're not wise at 25, but 75.

Lori said...

That mustache thing is so funny! He's a good sport to go along with fun things like that. And I loved the necklace you made your Mom. I love thoughtful gifts like that.

Looks like you guys had a great Mother's Day. I'm going to have to ry those fried green tomatoes. They look good. I don't like tomatoes in general but maybe fried with sauce that disguises the tomatoey-ness would make them good :)

Thanks for putting a link for that reading book. I'm always interested in that kind of stuff. Have a good one!

thedomesticfringe.com said...

Love this random post and your rant. Oh, and chocolate sauce hold a special place in my heart. That's all. :-)
~FringeGirl

The Luckiest said...

I love random blog posts! That's what most of mine are too. Josh once asked me why I don't get paid to write my blog and I said because it's not really about anything. Ha! It's ok though, it's supposed to be what you want it to be. I couldn't agree with you more about frenemies. We were also just discussing those today as we have a huge one. I call it a "hate-crush" as the person just loves to hate me/us. Just as you said, they are jealous or angry with our happiness and successes and seek out any shortcomings to whisper and giggle about. It's so lame. Like worse-than-middle-school lame. Sadly, we are unable to leave this frenemy behind. We must just make the best of the situation. I pretty much do so by keeping my eyes down and my mouth shut, and of course avoiding the person whenever possible. I also remind myself often that they can try to outdo us in every way possible but their constant attempts to do so only indicates that we're happier than they will ever be. Sad for them!

Tara, Doug, Isaac, and Lucy said...

I love this quote: "If it's very painful for you to criticize your friends - you're safe in doing it. But if you take the slightest pleasure in it, that's the time to hold your tongue." ~Alice Duer Miller
I ruined a friendship by not following this advice my senior year of high school. I will always regret it, because saying "I'm sorry" didn't make us friends again. So sad. And I love your posts!

luvnmy10 said...

I wonder if there is a word for relative enemies-relenemies, maybe? I hope I am not one!!! I love fried ripe tomatoes, my mother in aw makes them soooo wonderfully! Love your random posts.

Emily Foley said...

I've been talking to my sister lately about my lack of benevolence. Because life has not turned out how I dreamed and planned, sometimes I have a hard time being happy for people when they are successful. It's a horrible thing and I hate it, but I'm working on it. Not that I'm not happy for them, but in my happiness is a tinge of envy because I don't have that. You know? Anyway, super fun post. I loved it.

Anne said...

I love the necklace. You are write to rid yourself of frenemies. Not worth especially when you know you have true friends. Although frustrating when they may live far away. Love you

val said...

Lol on so much of this post. The mustache, normal humans, all the my little ponies...random posts are the best.
Sorry you've had sickness at your house. It has passed here and it will pass your house too. Hang in there girly.
sorry about the frenemie thing. It's sad and you're right..life is too short to deal with these kind of people. hope it will be a thing of the past soon.