Sunday, May 27, 2012

translate first, ask questions later...

The other day a story that I hadn't thought about for a while came into my mind and I could not stop laughing. So I thought I would tell it to you.

If you're new around here, you might not know that I served a year and a half welfare mission for my church in Honduras.

One day towards the end of my time there, I was sitting in the house of some local members of the church talking to them about something. Suddenly, a song came onto the radio in the background while we were visiting. Now--a little backstory here--we, as missionaries, are not supposed to listen to anything other than classical or religious music during that time (and even then, we rarely have time to listen to music because we are almost always out of our apartment). Anyway, I was close to going home and I wanted to have some spanish music to take home as a souvenir. All of the missionaries had told me about a great place to buy spanish c.d.'s for cheap before I headed home, so I would occasionally ask people what songs or musical groups they liked so that I could buy their c.d. Also keep in mind that missionaries in our church have a similar reputation to the nuns of the Catholic Church-- they are supposed to hold themselves to very strict moral standards.

Okay, so now that you have the background, there we were in this house, and I head this unknown song come on in the background. I could only barely hear it, but I thought the tune sounded catchy and said something to the effect of, "Oh, I like this song! What is the name of it?"

The teenagers in the room (of which there were several), started cracking up (should have been my first clue), and one managed to say, "Oh really? You like this song Hermana Fisk?" I nodded and said, "Yeah, I haven't really heard it, but I like the beat. Do you know what it's called?" This time everyone burst out laughing, including my companion, to my confusion and discomfiture. I kept asking them why they were laughing until someone managed to gasp through their laughter, "The name of the song is 'Quitemonos la Ropa.'"

I turned bright red and swore I would never ask about another song again unless I could listen to the lyrics first. Translated? "Let's Take Off Our Clothes."

Bow chicka bow wow. hahaha

5 comments:

Missy said...

Love it!! Thanks for making me laugh.

Emily Foley said...

I'm rolling! Sooo funny. These are the stories I miss out on for not serving a mission. And also the illnesses and no showers for 2 years.

luvnmy10 said...

That's funny!

Kelly said...

I remember this and it still makes me laugh!

RaeLynn said...

Well, well, well...looks like Jenn likes to spend her days SIN ROPA. It's cool, I won't tell anyone. (You already did).