Monday, August 20, 2012

hey guess what

today we got internet, and so I am here to do a short little update to tell you that we are still alive!

I honestly don't know that I'll ever really feel like going into all of our reasons for moving, but let's just sum up the entire experience as extremely not fun.

but here are the good things:
1. it has long been our dream to end up in North Carolina. yeah, we have weird dreams I guess. We are thrilled to be here. the weather these past few days have been lovely, and I like to think it's a nice welcome from the state. (although I am under no delusions that the summer is gone, it is August in the South, but I'll take what I can get!)

2. John has a new job that we hope he will be able to stay with for a good long while. he is going to be working on some exciting things that involve libraries and possibly kindles. anyone that knows John (and me ha) knows that this is a great fit for him. As John told them during his interview, "Hey, I even proposed to my wife in a library!" good times

3. We sold our house. This is the single best piece of happiness in my life in a long time. I know, I know. There are people that think I am a spoiled piece of junk for owning a house and wanting to get rid of it. Let's just say that I loved owning my two houses previous to this last house. Our time in Charleston was a trial and a half for me. I am happy to be a non-permanent resident (aka renter) for a few years.

4. Speaking of renting, here is the house we are renting. It was extremely difficult to find a house to rent in Charlotte in the school district we wanted to get into. This house that we are in was only on the rental market for maybe 2 days. That's right, we moved up to Charlotte without having a place to stay. Let's all say it together, Crazy. Or maybe, Leap of Faith. Or perhaps, Really Crazy. We lived in a hotel for a few days there. With two little kids. What I have to say about that experience (of two little kids in a cramped hotel room for several days) is that Grant is lucky to be alive. His cuteness has saved him many times over the past few weeks.

This is a great house, and we are so grateful to all of the people that helped us to find it and get into it. Moving is not done alone, and that is a very good thing.

5. Speaking of the house, it has an absolutely amazing kitchen. I'm sort of embarrassed to show a picture of it because it seems kinda braggy, and I don't really feel like I deserve such a nice kitchen. Of course, we are just renters so it's not like it's ours to brag about. ha. But still, maybe in a few weeks I'll build up the huzpah to show you. Maybe not. :) (although there is a small glimpse in the photo behind Madders).

so that's some of the latest. wish me luck as I try to scare up the documentation to prove that Maddy should be allowed to go to kindergarten in this state starting in one week. ack! let us all say a little prayer that Jennifer Savage does not need to retake any sort of driving test in order to get her license. we all know how that would end (clue: shambles).

12 comments:

Emily Foley said...

Congratulations! On everything! I'm so happy for you. SO. I know some people don't think "so" should be an adjective, but it is.

So I have this friend that moved to Gallup from Florida in February. They have 3 kids aged 3 and under. They're still in a hotel. Seriously.

Missy said...

I was thinking those countertops looked nice! I truly think the hotel room would've killed me off. Glad you made it!

Melanie and Jared said...

You are funny. I have a few things to say. 1. I love your house, great curb appeal. 2. Good luck on kindergarten, but wouldn't you rather tell her to stop growing up? 3. Why are we being kept in the dark with johns job? 4. Everyone looks worn out, when are you going to get a break? 5. When you don't blog then I have nothing to read while I am up feeding Mr. Gluttony so get back on the wagon

RaeLynn said...

I'm so happy for you! That house is gorgeous. I want a full tour. I guess you can take your time since you have other pressing matters. But seriously--nicely done!

Jodi & Chris Reeve said...

Our weather here in Nashville has been beautiful also! I have had windows open for the last few days and I love it! Especially for August!

So, are you in the same city as Allison?

Does this mean we are closer now, or furhter away? Chris goes to NC for work (headquaters are there...the place they filmed the Andy Griffeth (sp?) show). So, if that is semi close to you, I need to convince him to travel there (and drive) when the kiddos are out of school so I can tag along! So tell me....are you far from there? I could always ask him, but I never see him anymore (he got a new calling that keeps him very busy).

luvnmy10 said...

Welcome back and Welcome Home!! Missed you and love you!

maugers said...

So many changes! I'm SO happy that you sold your home, and that you get a new start on LOTS of things! Good luck with kindergarten. (I hear they accept anyone :) Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on out.

Kellie said...

Yay! Congrats on finding a place and beginning to get settled in!

Katie Browning said...

Congratulations!! You made it to North Carolina! You guys have only been talking about that since we were in those tiny apartments in Provo. Way to make a dream come true!

thedomesticfringe.com said...

You should totally show off the kitchen. ;-)

So glad you all moved and settled. Living in a hotel must have been lots of fun. We moved from Maine to Florida with an almost three year-old and an almost one year-old. No place to go either. It was definitely crazy, but God has a way of working out our crazy.

~FringeGirl

BexxT said...

YAYAYAYAYAY!

Jenn I am SOOO happy for you!

I can't wait to see pics of your rental house and hear about Maddy starting kindergarten. We just got into our new house, but we are in a different boat (as you know). We love the new house though and it has a ridiculously fancy kitchen. Actually the whole house is fancy and it is kind of embarrassing... like, am I fancy enough to live in this mini-castle with fancy hardwood, fancy tilework, and hilariously fancy master bath/spa. The answer is always no. But whatever. We like it and we know we can make it a home.

I'd love to hear about your decision to go to NC (like why NC over any other place in the world). And someday, when it doesn't suck so bad, I would be inclined to hear about Charleston and why it was so miserable. Mostly I want to know so I can commiserate with you :) and delight even more in your change of circumstances!

Anyways, as always, I love ya :)

Lindy said...

I'm so glad you are alive and well, and that things are panning out. Love the updates!