Sunday, August 5, 2012

on the other side of OLD

Yes, it is true. Today is my birthday (please hold all applause until the end). I am officially 31. To me, this means I am on the downward slope. 30 is straddling the line of young and old, but now, well, I am going down. It's okay, I'm not too worried about it. I'm not going to turn into that old lady from the Pollyanna movie that lays in bed all day buying fabric to line her coffin or anything. I'm feeling pretty good for being OLD. :)

Anyway, since it's my birthday and all, that means I can post about whatever catches my fancy. Since, you know, I never do that anyway. Don't argue with me, it's my birthday.
I've had some worn out kids these past few days because it is hotter than Hades outside and we actually did venture outside because we had a special guest this week.
Well, it wasn't him. He's always hanging around, trying to make me hold him and give him binkies and what not.
It was this lady, my Madre. I took her on all sorts of tours because every other time she has visited us down here we have been in the hospital (only wish I was joking, heh). So she wanted to see Charleston before we move. Since I needed someone to take my mind off of stuff, I was SO happy she came.

I was also so glad she said she would sit next to him during the swamp tour because I have been on the swamp tour with him before and he was terrible. He lived up to his reputation unfortunately. Also unfortunate, he realized I was sitting behind him taking pictures of him and he got passed back to me at his insistence. Oh well, I still like him.
This is a picture of the swamp. Mostly it looks like a normal lake in this picture. Worst swamp picture ever.
Does it make me a bad mom that sometimes I take pictures just to annoy my already irritated children? Hmm....I am guessing No.

I had to keep taking pictures of them because we didn't see any alligators this trip. Bummer. But we still got to see lily pads and sweat 20 lbs off, so it's all good.
I make every person that visits us put their head in that butterfly board. I laugh every time.
So, on this trip we found out that my Mom is Dr. Dolittle (we are referencing a lot of disney movies today aren't we!). She got one of the parrots to talk to her. Apparently the key words are "hello pretty bird." Also, I found out her family used to own a gray african parrot (or something like that) when her family lived in Nigeria and they tried to smuggle, I mean bring home legally, the bird to America. They got the bird as far as Canada and the Canadian authorities (which I imagine means the Canadian Mounties, the only Canadian police force that I recognize officially), stopped the bird at their borders. They claimed it was because there was an outbreak of avian flu going around at that point, but it was probably because my Mom was trying to smuggle diamonds hidden in the birds feathers or something. Best part is my Mom read on the bird plaque that the birds have a lifespan of up to 50 years and she sat there and said wistfully, "He could be living still, up there somewhere in Canada..." So, if you have seen my Mom's african gray parrot who can whistle like their creaky gate and cry like my Aunt Venita when she was little, well she wants it back. Avian flu and all.
moving on, a rainbow of watercups. i am getting artsy in my old age.
almost everything is packed up at our house, except for coloring books and some toys. thank goodness for those!

So I mentioned my Mom and I toured around a bit. My mother's helper finally returned after being gone for a month just in time to watch my kids while I took my Mom to sweltering Charleston and now you are looking at the food we ate. Shrimp Po Boys, Fried Cheese Grits topped with Lump Crab Cake, Hush Puppies. That is the South on a platter.

Also, we feel personally responsible for Michael Phelps winning the Gold. You're welcome Mikey.


Then I convinced Mom to take a horse tour, and she was very dubious about it (despite being Dr. Dolittle) because she thought it was too touristy. She ended up agreeing that it is the best way to see the city. Did I mention it was HOT. Better to let the horses (technically Mules) do the work! This is the Old Exchange Building. Apparently George Washington once danced a jig here.
That is a famous church that leans a little because of an earthquake. Called St. Phillips I believe. If you watch the Patriot you can see it in the movie. Just a little more movie trivia for ya.
Can you tell my Mom is a good sport??
The Circular Church.
and for my morbid sister and her almost certified undertaker husband, I snapped some photos from the old graveyard. I like to believe I found Amadeus Mozart's headstone. Unfortunately the words on the headstone didn't seem to agree. long lost cousin at least.
this one just plain creeped me out. so i took a picture naturally. i just got the creeps again.
ah, much better. oh how i love this guy. being the mom to a boy is really awesome. even though he is acting like such a 2 year old that I am happy when he goes down for his nap everyday.

Yeah, we all love this little guy. he is so cute. John commented the other day, "he's just SUCH a boy isn't he??" yeah, he really is. can't imagine our family without him. he's my little lovey.
are you asleep yet? yeah, this is a long one. But I'm having so much fun! Because now I get to show some of the pictures I took without my Mom's permission (well some of them I got permission, so I'm not totally evil. yet.). Like the one above. I posted it to instagram and my cousin commented that she was probably explaining things about the Ipad. Probably true.
Mom and Mads. Mom took it upon herself to teach Maddy the correct way to wear her little purse. Pretty adorable if you ask me.
This was taken without permission
This one was really taken without permission
And the least amount of permission of all. hahaha. People, I am in the middle of moving right before school starts, I have to find my kicks somehow!



chill'n. drink'n. cute'n
Ohhhhh, this picture....Okay, this picture is a WARNING! One of my "friends" (that status is pending after this disaster! ha) gave Maddy this stuff for her birthday. It's called Squishy Baff. It said on the label that it makes your bath squishy, but then you put the other mixture in and it makes the squishy go away and down the drain. Totally safe! Totally Harmless! Totally a LIE. This is half of a big garbage can that I filled with the squishy stuff after fishing it out with a colander. It NEVER dissolved, and we had to drain the tub that looked like this:
using this method: (bucket and headphones, because it took forever). Never use that stuff. And definitely never give it as a birthday gift unless you sort of secretly hate someone. In which case if you do, this is the perfect revenge.

Oh yeah, and then we went through our cubist phase. This is a really random post. wow

sticker mosaics. totally overpriced, but great time-waster, and awesome sparkle factor.


and lastly, Maddy getting her feet measured for the first time ever, and I snapped a photo even though I was sort of embarrassed about it (I know, you would think I would have been more embarrassed about the stickers on our face picture, but, well....I do those pictures in our house, this was public nerdiness). I remember doing this every year before school started. It almost made me cry. Isn't that dorky? That's the sort of thing only people on the down hill side of being OLD would do.

I think I'm going to like this old thing.

10 comments:

Melanie and Jared said...

Mosaic stickers are NOT a waste of money if it wasted time! I'm impressed she did all that, my kids don't have that kind of focus. I loved your mom visiting, I feel like moms are the best medicine.

Jodi & Chris Reeve said...

Happy Birthday! So, when do you close on your house? And where are you going? Okay, you can tell in your own time!

We close on our house Sept 20th and can't wait. We will also be moving in the middle of school, if shool starts...ever...they are having budgeting issues, but hey, what can you do?

jane said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

By the way, you start to pick up speed on the 'downhill'side!
I'm so glad your mom was able to visit.
And I think all the photos are wonderful--especially getting measured for new shoes!

love and hugs

liz said...

Happy birthday!!! 31 is not old... I'm turning 31 and I will not admit to becoming old!!! ;P I am so glad you did that bath thing. I have been tempted to buy it!!! I learn from your experience. Thanks for taking one for the team!!!

Kelly said...

I have never laughed so hard from a post!!! Seriously cried from laughing. The part about mom and the parrot. Oh and the picture with no permission. Seriously I snorted while laughing! Sooooooo glad you posted this!!!!

maugers said...

Happy birthday! First, I'm sorry for leaving messages on your husband's phone... I don't even know if I said my name... Just "hey Jen, it's me!" Poor guy. Second, thank you for the heads up of the "squishy bath". That's terrible!! Third, how did you get so young? I was pretty sure we were the exact same in every way, and you I will be 32 in november. Maybe you forgot a year? OOOOOH, maybe I skipped a year! Anyway, great post. Good luck moving, talk to you soon.

maugers said...

Happy birthday! First, I'm sorry for leaving messages on your husband's phone... I don't even know if I said my name... Just "hey Jen, it's me!" Poor guy. Second, thank you for the heads up of the "squishy bath". That's terrible!! Third, how did you get so young? I was pretty sure we were the exact same in every way, and I will be 32 in november. Maybe you forgot a year? OOOOOH, maybe I skipped a year! Anyway, great post. Good luck moving, talk to you soon.

Emily Foley said...

I love this post! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I also love that your mom is my cousin but you're my age. Neat. That bath stuff made me laugh out loud! I would totally kill the mother that bought that for my kids. How awful to clean up. I want to visit Charleston now too, it looks magical! But I'll come in the winter.

Tara, Doug, Isaac, and Lucy said...

I want to know where you are moving as well! And way to join me at 31. It's nice:).

Carrie said...

Ok....so I had to laugh at this post too! (I'll talk to you later about those unapproved photos!!). I had just one correction....the was imitating Venita's little giril squeal not her crying :-). And yes...I hope someone finds my cute African Grey =D

So glad I got to come down and enjoy some of that southern charm I had heard so much about!