Monday, December 3, 2012

sappy cutesy oh my gosh

 after dinner my husband announced the following: "I have a great idea for family night. How about I take the kids to Wal-mart to refill my prescription and why don't you stay home and relax."

Yes, my husband is the modern day equivalent of Joan of Arc. A hero, a selfless martyr (in the best sense of the word), and so very brave. Alas, I fear he may have a similarly bad ending with his noble plans. But bless him all the same. I love that guy so much.
 so I am relaxing by posting some pictures. I probably should be actually resting because I have been wrangling two sick kids all weekend and I'm not feeling all that peachy either, but blogging is fun. i have priorities, and they are messed up. this we know. (also, I would like to title the above photo, "The Enabler" since John is supposed to be helping Grant decorate his house, and instead appears to be giving him the candy to eat)
 anyway, we started our advent calendar activities, and I almost hate writing that out because I get all sorts of uncomfortable when we start doing cutesy things that awesome and organized and cutesy families do, but... let's be honest here, I mostly did it because I get excited about having something to do everyday that is out of the ordinary. Plus, Maddy happens to be at that age when Christmas is absolute magic. I will do whatever I have to do to encourage that magic, even if it means that I have to talk about sappy cutesy stuff.
 she makes sure we get the papers and treats out of the advent calendar first thing in the morning, this day it was gingerbread house decorating
 I had to post this redundant photo because i love the look of "what the heck is that kid doing behind my back" on Maddy's face. I don't blame her. you turn your back on that toddler and you're likely to regret it. I am surprised maddy doesn't have bald patches from him randomly pulling her hair out of "playfulness." heaven help us when he discovers how to be mean.

 okay another redundant picture. sue me, she looks cute in this one.
 see, a cutesy family would never look this disorganized while making their houses. they would be wearing matching sweater vests with snowflakes on them and sporting rosy cheeks. p.s. one of our houses looks suspiciously like an outhouse to me. martha stewart would never be caught dead with an outhouse in her gingerbread scenery
 then we had to wait for an hour while the icing hardened before we could decorate. longest hour of her life.
 it's as if i posed them exactly alike on separate couches. and yet, i didn't.

 and then another time this kid just walked around doing a sort of hula-esque dance move with his "nuggle" (blanket) wrapped around his waist. he is growing up into such a ham. I can already tell he is going to have a wickedly amazing sense of humor.

 I interrupt this blog post to bring you the BEST dang christmas soap ever invented. it's from target, and you will thank me someday if you get it. on a side sidenote, my hands are constantly chapped from washing my hands so much. having kids, PLUS having a kid in diapers, guarantees that you will wash your hands about five million times a day. i go through so much hand soap that I try to buy myself something I enjoy smelling since it is my number one hobby these days. side note over.




 i regularly find her giving her brother sips or nibbles from her personal plate or cup. this was her giving him some sips of her hot cocoa. he had already finished his. he likes the stuff on other peoples' plates better.

 a while ago I found an old Big Wheels from the thrift store for two bucks and Maddy and Grant have been loving it ever since. works great on our tiny patio.

 i know it appears that I am a mean mom and am torturing grant by not letting him outside. I assure you that is absolutely the truth.

 he had a cold and he had already been outside for a bit. so i'm only partially mean.

 this is one of my all time favorite pictures now. she makes me laugh


 Grant made me take this picture. he has a crazy fascination with birds. well since he can only say about thirty words I have to assume it's a crazy fascination, since he points them out incessantly saying "bird!!!!" over and over in a really excited voice.
 my buddy feeling sick

another favorite from the past week. maddy got sent to time out for being mean to her brother. Grant felt sorry for her and so he joined her and sat with her the entire time she was in time out.  this is actually a fairly regular occurrence. he just loves that girl so much.

The good news from today is that I think Maddy is well enough to go back to school tomorrow. Also great news is that we finished her Christmas Traditions poster and it is amazing (if I do say so myself).

The mediocre news is that John met with a mortgage person to ask a bunch of questions and find out what it will take to someday get back into a house for us. We are trying to tackle all major financial decisions head on so that we can get into the best possible position and be prepared.

The blah news is that down payments for houses seem so daunting after losing your equity from selling your previous house. We feel like we are starting over. But in good news, (because I like to end on a positive note) we are counting our blessings to be able to start over and that we were able to sell our home at all. I think most of my friends that are my age are going through similar struggles with homes/jobs/etc., and so I know we are not alone and that things will work out. They always do. Sometimes it just takes time.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I was just writing a heck of a journal entry when I decided to end by looking at someone's blog to hopefully brighten my day. I thank you so very much for this post! It was what I needed tonight. So the moral of the story is that tonight you are my hero. Thank you for posting this during your down time! Truly I needed the smiles on those beautiful babes of yours! And the picture of john giving grant candy made my heart happy.

BexxT said...

30 words? Good heavens! I think Kings says 10 (mama, dada, ball, down, up, that, dog, beebee (this is for Lily Bean)) Okay, maybe 8 words? He doesn't use words for things- he sees a bird he shrieks "AWWW AWWW" for caw-caw. He sees a cow he says "MOOOO" and points. He sees a cat and MEOWS as loud as he can. He sees a dog and SCREAMS "WOOOOOF." He sees a sheep and says "BAAAABAAA" as oud as possible. He does this with frogs (his version of ribbit), ducks (gwack, gwack), fish (gub gub for glub glub), snail (nasty mouth squishy noise, long story), bee (zzzzzzzz!), snow (nasty mouth squishy noise. WE have no idea where this came from), etc. SO I guess if you pick sounds, he knows all sorts of words.

I have decided that your son is a genius.

Emily Foley said...

Oh man, your kids have the cutest faces! I love the first one of Maddy holding the paper.

We will never have enough for a down payment again. We got the first one by living with my parents for 3 1/2 years. Ugh.

Missy said...

Every year I think about doing an advent calendar and then I don't. Your level of cutesy is off the charts according to me! Love it and maybe we will do one next year. ;)

jane said...

off the charts on the cuteness scale! That husband of yours is awesome---most likely because he has a wife who treasures him.

I thought the g'bread house was a replica of the Baker's Peak cabin (ask John)

it's not the end yet, so it's ok if everything isn't done yet.

love and hugs