Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Charlotte and the New Year

Many people are posting look backs over the past year. They are recapping things that happened and the like. I have been thinking of doing something similar, but looking back just makes me all sorts of anxious. These past few years have been filled with stressful and big changes for our family, as many of you know. But here we are in Charlotte after all of that and we are finally on the road to becoming stable citizens. (I have to remind myself of that fact a lot, because I have this crazy tendency to freak out every time there is a bump in the road--afraid that it is a sign of more terribleness to come. Did I mention that these past few years have messed with my emotions a bit??)

I realized the other day that I have never really sat down and written whether I like or dislike Charlotte. I think I've been waiting to get a good feel for the city to see how I would feel after a few months. My overall opinion so far? I love it. The weather since we moved has been great (remember, we moved in August, so it's not like we completely missed summer either). The school we have Maddy in is great--she loves her teacher, she loves to learn, and she is getting so smart. We live in a nice little neighborhood that is safe and the lawn is mowed for us (bonus!) All around us there is a country feel with lots of trees, but when you are driving you will suddenly find amazing shopping seemingly in the middle of nowhere. (My Mom even commented on this when she was here for Christmas and thought it was pretty awesome). We live close enough to Charlotte that there are lots of museums and other "big city" amenities. The only downside so far seems to be traffic at times since Charlotte experienced a lot of growth and the roads are playing a bit of catch up.

There is so much potential for our family in this year to come, and I really hope things will finally settle and calm down. I hope we can put down some roots and that we can all find friends and book clubs and cozy slow moments to enjoy being a family. I hope we can find a home that will meet our needs just right for now, and still meet our needs as the kids grow. I hope for safety, health, gratitude, and contentment. And I hope that I will stop jumping to the worst possible conclusion at the first sign of trouble. But these things take time. Patience and time.

So instead of looking back, I guess you could say I am ready to look forward. I hope for good things this year, and if not, I hope for the positivity to make bad things easier to bear.

4 comments:

Katie Browning said...

So glad you like Charlotte! If we can sell our house and things are looking towards NC..I will be bugging you with lots of questions!!

Jodi & Chris Reeve said...

Life is hard, and I think we would all benefit from counting our blessings more! Isn't Grant's birthday coming up pretty soon?

Kellie said...

Glad to hear that things are looking up. But we miss you guys here too! We'll have to plan a summer ronde vu, so that the girls can see each other and you and I can catch up. Happy New Year!

Emily Foley said...

I think Charlotte is your place. This is where big things are happening for you, I can feel it.