Monday, June 3, 2013

i need another weekend to recover from the weekend

Wow, the weekend was intense.

Friday was Madsy's Kindergarten extravaganza (I'm just glad they didn't call it a graduation, because that's just ridiculous, it's kindergarten, not an advanced degree), and it was adorable and tear-inducing as expected.  When your little girl sings with her class "How sweet it is to be loved by YOU!" and points right at you, you have to cry a little bit. It's scientifically impossible to resist.

I was brilliant and took Grant to the drop-in babysitting center. He had fun, and I had fun. Win-win. I (and every other parent) checked Maddy out afterwards and took her for a lunch date. I let her pick. As usual, the pick was Chik-Fil-a. I like that place, but sometimes I just wish the kids would pick Panera or a burger joint! It's all about the playplace. It was so cute how Maddy kept telling me, "Wow Mom, can you believe that I'm a FIRST GRADER??" and then she would die laughing when I told her, No, nope you're not allowed to keep growing. Stop this instant!

We bought three vanilla cones and Maddy tried to lick on Grant's to keep it from melting on her while we drove to get him, but only partially succeeded  When picking up Grant he saw me, smiled, and then saw the ice cream. From that moment on it was less about how happy he was to see me, and more about how happy he was to see an ice cream cone. Kids are so easy to please.

Saturday was garage sale day. We kept putting it off because honestly, garage sales are hard work...on a weekend! We don't like to mix those two-- Especially when it requires getting up early in the morning and moving heavy stuff. We're lazy like that I guess. But we have realized that the number of weekends we will have free between now and moving are getting smaller, and it's better to have the garage sale earlier in the summer both for heat and for the number of people going garage sale-ing. So we bit the bullet and did it. We didn't have a ton of people come, but we made about $75, which I consider pretty good considering we had a lot of kids stuff/toys out. We packed up our van and the car with the leftovers and sold a few more things to the kid consignment shop and dropped everything else off at Goodwill. I felt a million pounds lighter dropping that stuff off and driving away. I like less stuff. In fact, I need to restrain myself about getting rid of stuff sometimes. I just dislike the pick up and maintenance of too much. I would rather have things I really like and use than just a bunch of stuff I sorta like because I got it on sale. How about you?

Sunday was spent together at church and watching Veggie Tales and playing the card game Blink (Maddy beat me three times), and eating popcorn and drinking lemonade and taking naps.

And now to finish out Maddy's school year this week, pack, and head off to New York City! But first, today is the home inspection and I finally get a chance to get back in the house we are buying and take lots of pictures and find out whether there is a pantry or not because I seriously cannot remember! (can you believe I am buying a house without knowing that? yeah...crazy).


And because it wouldn't be right to deprive you and the grandmas pictures of the kindergarten extravaganza, I present: the kindergarten extravaganza...









 I bet that guy doesn't even realize that his profile and schnoz are in about 90% of my kindergarten extravaganza photos


 Miss M with her beloved Kindergarten teacher
here's the almost first grader who refuses to stop growing. My girl and her gorgeous eyes.

8 comments:

Mellifluous Mommy said...

Can't believe Robyn and Maddy are almost done with kindergarten...how did that happen??? Maddy looks so grown up: I wish we were getting to see you in NY this weekend, it would have been a blast!! (Also wishing we had a Chik-Fil-A here looking at your yummy picture...sigh :) Let us know if your new place has a pantry or not!

Missy said...

Love those school programs. They are just precious! I do think teachers pick songs that the parents will cry. One year Brinley sang Angels Among Us for a mothers day program. It got everyone! Maddy looks adorable!

maugers said...

Congratulations Maddy! I cried at Lydia's too, and she pointed it out to the rest of class... they all laughed. :/ Good luck with all the decisions of the house and kitchen and everything... wooee! So we are going to see you in just a few weeks! Yippee! Maddy and Lydia will be the best of friends :)

luvnmy10 said...

She has your eyes, by the way!

Emily Foley said...

I hate garage sales. I hear people can make a ton of money but we've never made more than $50 or so, and they are sooo much work. Ugh.

Kelly said...

Congrats Maddy! Aunt Kelly says stop growing up, I remember holding you as a newborn!

Gabrielle said...

wow- I can't believe how old....

val said...

the last photo...her eyes. oh man. let's hope she goes thru the ugly stage to keep the boys away.