Friday, September 6, 2013

I'm back!! (for how long who can say)

 I disappeared for a long while. It's kinda weird coming back to tell you the truth. Maybe I should stay away from my blog forever and force myself to use the time wisely instead, but I just love having a record of our lives so I'm back. Besides, I miss it when my friends don't blog. I'm hoping someone out there missed me too! Anyway, we are moved. The house is still plagued by those boxes that are a mixture of good stuff and junk that you look at and feel too overwhelmed to try and dig through/find a place for. This weekend we are forcing ourselves to finish it all up. The garage is SCARY full of junk and I need it all done for my very special brand of sanity/crazy.
 Luckily these two seem to have transitioned pretty darn fine to the new house. I actually think having to do over the kitchen has helped with that because they were over here at the new house a TON before actually moving in so they got used to it gradually. G-money has had a few extra cry sessions, but overall I think we did great. I took them to froyo to celebrate after school the other day. These kids of mine are such keepers. Look at that smile!!
 It's not froyo unless it have twenty pounds of nerds and gummi worms on top. That is Maddy's world outlook.
 I made her come outside and sit on the front porch with me. She got freaked out by the sound of the cicadas. These city kids are gonna have to acclimate to having trees around.
 This is all going to be backwards. I don't have time to make it all beautified for you, as much as I might wish I did. We had to make our fun anyway we could during those last few weeks when most of the toys and stuff were packed.


 Yeah, some days we got REAL creative with the fun.


 Before we got moved over, my Mom and my cutie niece came for a visit. Here is Mads and Lylia having a first day of school picture together. They had the BEST time.
 Where did those long skinny girl legs come from??? (being picky about food is where. Eat, girl!)
 She lost a front tooth a few days before school and I feel like I sorta fell in love with her adorable face all over again. CUTEST GIRL IN THE WORLD alert.


 Grandma reading The Blur a few stories.
 holding hands like BFF cousins should

 Maddy's first grade room at her new school. she is loving it.


 Looks so fun and cozy
 I'm honestly not sure what this was about, but it looks like I've got a couple of yogis on my hands
 Maddy going to Horse Camp this year (courtesy of her Grandma and Grandpa Savage for her birthday) deserves an awesome post all by itself. I will get to that one of these days soon. To say she loved it might be the understatement of the year.
 Also, Grant would cry every time we picked her up because he didn't get to ride a horsey. It is tough being little I tell you what. Luckily Maddy let him try on her oh-so-stylish riding helmet....
 This was Maddy's horse for the week, Rose. Apparently Rose belonged to the teacher and was a pretty exceptional horse because she could do tricks. I was mostly impressed by how comfortable and confident Madeline was on a horse by the end of the week. She rode it around without anyone guiding the horse and could turn the horse, stop the horse, and lead the horse by herself. I'm sure it helps that the horses were probably the most obedient horses on the planet, but still. :)


 Yeehaw! A cowgirl just like her Grandma Savage!
 In non-horse-related news, here are some pictures to make you really jealous of the life I have led these past few months. This was actually a good day. It was the day the professional painter came to paint our living room and kitchen (because they both have pretty tall ceilings and are big rooms and I knew there was no way I would get it done before we moved in). He did an awesome job and now I know why people pay painters. He knocked these rooms out SO fast! Plus he looked sorta like Mr. Banks from Mary Poppins, so I sorta wanted to speak to him with a British accent all of the time and give him hugs like a long lost friend. It was complicated.

Grant sitting on a mountain of ikea kitchen cabinet boxes. That was actually the small pile. Did I mention how SMART it was to hire the ikea professional installers for that job too? All of the sudden I'm starting to realize why professional help is so helpful. It's called, YOU CAN'T GET NOTHING DONE WITH KIDS. Oh sorry, didn't mean to yell. It was more of an hallelujah thing there. I am so grateful we were able to hire people. We would have been stuck up a creek without a dang paddle if we had tried to do it ourselves. But having said that, we did do a lot by ourselves (and will be doing more by ourselves to finish).

 We DIY'ed the heck out of a lot of stuff--like we pulled up the linoleum floor (by we I mean John and some help from his Dad), but mostly John. He must have literally pulled over a thousand staples. I felt so bad for him. He was a trooper! We also scraped the popcorn ceilings in the laundry room and kitchen ourselves, patched, primed, and painted the ceiling (a HUGE job, each step of that). Took down the fluorescent light fixture and a weird kitchen fan. Dismantled all of the kitchen cabinets and removed them. Took down the eat in light fixture and replaced it with a craigslist- find light fixture. And cleaned up fifty million pounds of popcorn ceiling out of every nook and cranny. We also painted (mostly John's wonderful Mom and myself) Maddy's room, Grant's room, the Master Bedroom, the foyer, and the formal dining room. And a partridge in a pear tree. Oh and of course we did all of this plus packing and deep cleaning this place and the rental. Yeeeahh...it was stressful. And my upper thighs are still sore from the lifting and scrubbing and all of that jazz.
 Ah, there you can barely see a bit of the water damage on the wall and floor. I had cleaned some of it up by this point and it's not very easy to see in this picture, but there was black mold in all sorts of places. It was not a happy place.
The kitchen color used to be that pink beige color. It wasn't the worst color. Peach is the worst color. But it was a cousin of peach and therefore almost the worst color. (although the entry way was chartreuse which might be a tie for worst color on a wall).

The good news is that our kitchen already looks MUCH better than these pictures already. We have new floors, new paint on the walls, and new base cabinets. The bad news is that we aren't quite finished yet and it will probably take a week or so to get there. Luckily it hasn't been as horrible as I feared living without a completely working kitchen. We're eating a lot of crockpot and Stouffers frozen dinner meals, but we're doing pretty good considering!

So I've got you sort of caught up. I have more kitchen updates to come and then maybe even some more house pictures if anyone is curious. We have all been working our tails off and I am starting to feel really pleased with how things are turning out. Now we just have to tackle the mountain of boxes and junk in the garage and then we might actually almost be normal again! Wish us luck!

11 comments:

Katamaran said...

I HAVE MISSED YOU LIKE MAD! Hope that's not too weird haha :)

Anne Lake said...

So happy you are back. Can't wait to see more pictures and grant looks huge! When did he grow up

maugers said...

I'm glad you're back too! The little bit that I could put together on your house looks wonderful :) I love your blog :)

Emily Foley said...

I have SO missed you! I love your blog because it feels like we're hanging out and talking. I wish we could actually do that sometime. I also can't wait to see our kitchen. I'm really impressed with all the work you've put in! I would want to hire a bunch more professionals to do the ceilings and mold detail....yuck.

Love Maddy's missing tooth and "the blur" reading with grandma. So cute.

Missy said...

Missed you, girl!! But I will accept your reasons...they are legit. ;) Can't wait to see more house. I really wish you could come do mine or even give me ideas. We are too scared to do anything drastic.

Bryan said...

Holy guacamole, that looks like a LOT of work. You're a trooper!

luvnmy10 said...

I am soo happy you're back! Just reading this awesome pst, however has made me very tired and I am considering a nap! Can't wait to see the whole house tour pics!

Valerie said...

I cannot wait to see it when it's all done and finished! You are much braver than I am- I don't think I would want to tackle any big reno. But I'm glad you hired out some of the work and I know it'll all look fabulous when it's done since you have such a great eye.

RaeLynn said...

I've been patiently (or not so patiently) waiting for an update! I'm beyond excited to see some pictures of the kitchen and the rest of the house!! Also, Maddy looks ADORABLE on a horse. She looks so at ease and professional. I'm' sorry about the water damage :( Lame.

Sister Tara Bowen said...

Like everyone else, I'm glad to hear what the Savages are up to and I want to see your house in a big way. The outside, the tour, you know it. Just think. If you post now, you can call it the "before" even though it's mostly after. You'll just be adding an extra stage.

Dee in BC said...

I missed reading your posts- so far you have moved mountains-mould is awful to clean- more photos please!( of the house , not the mould)