Sunday, November 3, 2013

we interrupt this blog to bring you pictures of kittens

 ok, I only have one picture of kittens, but it's so cute it's worth about five pictures. I am so behind the times and behind and all of that stuff that I don't care about really that I never talked about how I promised my kids in a moment of insanity that I would let them get a cat when we had our own house. Then we moved and Maddy asked me about this every.single.day. (not an exaggeration). I told her when we finished the kitchen we would get cats. Well we finally reached a "good enough" stage a while ago and we went to get some kittens. The lady who was adopting them out wouldn't let them go alone (wish she had mentioned that before we got attached), and we actually left because we didn't want two cats! But poor little Mads was heartbroken and we all secretly loved the cats, so we went back and now we have two cats and it has worked out great because the kids think that they both have their own cat. We named them Chip and Dale after the chipmunks, but people all seem to think we named them after those gross dancers so we may need to change that. Mostly I call them Cat!!! (when they are jumping on my kitchen counters). They are very adorable (except for the counter jumping).
 somebody lost ANOTHER tooth. It was sort of funny. I just looked over at her and said, "Maddy, I think that tooth could come out today if you actually tried to pull it out for real." So she sat there and worked on it and it came out like three minutes later. She was so excited. John put her to bed and then mentions to me as I'm about to get cozy in bed myself hours later, Oh yeah, she wrote a note to the tooth fairy. Oh boy. Out came the glitter and the other stuff. It's hard being an awesome mom. ;) at least I hear it is ha
 Doesn't my buddy look so grown up lately? He's still 2, but is wearing the 3T and breaking my heart. He is also still a crazy man and breaking my soul on a regular basis. Two year old boys are hard!! And cute!! And hard!! I love this little boy so much. Heaven help me to be the mom he deserves (also, heaven send caffeine or something!)
 We went on a walk the other morning and he sat and played with a stick in the dirt for a good five minutes before Mom got bored and pulled him away. He then did it again on the walk back to the house. I wonder why the dirt in the backyard isn't so fascinating?
 Big sister helping a brotha out. My kids are terrible bikers. I put the blame squarely on us as delinquent parents.
 I know this is blurry, but can't you just feel the happiness?? Oh i love this kid
 raking is still fun (baby rake found at goodwill yessss)
 my awesome friend taught me how to make pepper jelly (MY FAVE) and I learned a new trick about sealing jars by putting them upside down. The funny part is that we left them like that for too long (we went to prepare and serve lunch for a bunch of missionaries) and when we came back they were stuck like this. Guess we're not such rockstar homemakers like we thought.
 On Halloween, Maddy's school did a "parade of fiction." aka you can dress up as long as it's from a book. They asked the kids to pick one of their favorite book characters. Maddy decided on Despereaux, from The Tale of Despereaux. No one knew who she was of course, but I thought her costume was cute because I made it. :) Every other little girl picked Pinkalicious or Fancy Nancy, once again convincing me that Maddy is awesome.
 How Grant kept himself entertained during the parade of fiction (because apparently a bunch of kids walking around in awesome costumes isn't enough for him).
 Maddy was pretty embarrassed that I made her hold her brother's hand at school. Next time I'll make sure to make her kiss him too.
 Maddy's cute teacher even dressed up

 okay this is super lame because I have a picture of one of the tables I decorated for an impromptu gathering I had on halloween night but I don't have pictures of my kids' costumes (they are on the other camera, the good one). And...I don't have the good one close enough for my lazy self to get it. Next time Grandmas!
 This should count as his costume. I found him walking around like this one day. The thing on his head is his face peeking out of the arm hole of one of John's shirts. He looked so funny and cute. Also, he looked like one of those jawas from star wars:


 the fall here is so beautiful, and I find myself getting all sentimental and happy about it at least once a day. this photo is from my horrible cell phone camera, without editing! the light was so beautiful!
 had parent teacher conferences with her teacher, where I was told (not the first time) that Maddy is very creative/artistic. One of her art projects was picked last year when she was a kindergartener to be in a special exhibit of school art for the county. Since I am not an artist I am a little unsure as to how to encourage and cultivate her talent other than buying her lots of good drawing paper and markers/paints/glitter/glue/pencils. It's so cool to hear that your child is good at something that obviously didn't come from you--something that God blessed them with all on their own. I hope she continues to explore and grow as an artist!
 more inspiring views from the kitchen windows
 three dollars well spent
this last one makes me laugh. I went to a girls night that was open to everyone in our ladies church group. all of these ladies showed up at the same time all wearing stripes....except for me. I got a big kick out of it and made them take a picture. good times, good times. I told them I didn't wear my stripes because 1. i didn't get the memo and 2. I don't like to be reminded of my time in the slammer. just kidding people.

it's been a busy time around our house and it feels like i can never get organized enough to do everything. my house feels like it is in constant disarray. the floors are covered in crumbs, the dinners are not fancy, and laundry is piling up. How in the world am I going to survive through the holidays if I am already this ambivalently disorganized. better go, I think we hear a croupy baby waking up.

4 comments:

Emily Foley said...

Noah asks for a cat at least 70 times a day and last week I got so mad that I yelled "if you ask for a cat one more time I'm going to flush your turtle down the toilet!" In my mean mom voice. So you win in the good mom dept. we have cat allergies and also, is a dog and a turtle really not enough?!

Gorgeous autumn light. I'm jealous of the east coast during fall. And what is it with the east coast only allowing literary costumes? Weird.

Missy said...

Cute costume and gorgeous fall colors! Someday I will see the East in the fall...

Anne Lake said...

Maddy definitely had the better costume. I love it. And you are making me so homesick with all the fall colors.

maugers said...

Beautiful fall! and I totally got Tale of Despereux right away! The ears did it for me :) You all look very cozy and happy, thanks for the post