Sunday, April 19, 2015

balloons, and budgets, and my swimming suit love affair that came true

The week in review:

I'm back to working on Relief Society advertising/decorating stuff for church. This time on a bigger scale for the Stake Women's Conference. Our theme is this scripture:

And he commanded them that there should be no contention one with another, but that they should look forward with one eye, having one faith and one baptism, having their hearts knit together in unity and in love one towards another

 The thing about these events is they always give you a next to nothing budget to decorate. We have to decorate 30 large round tables, and our budget is about $2 a table. !!! That's not much. I originally thought I'd try to stick to the knitting part of that theme, but there wasn't anything that was exciting me that was doable. I wanted something that would be big impact but beautiful as soon as people walked in. That's tricky on a $2 a table budget.


Finally I came across these ideas, and I've already done some tests with a real practice balloon (haha, this is what I get up to when left to my own devices...) and managed to make the netting myself with yarn and it looks pretty good! Our Stake Relief Society President is a florist and will be making the bottom basket of flowers happen for super cheap. I'm excited. Don't tell me if you think it's dorky.... that's not okay with me.

This week we've been trying to figure out insurance. John is technically a contractor until his company finishes paying the recruiters for "finding him." What that means for us is terrible and expensive insurance that takes up any extra money that we hoped to make for the time he is a contractor (which will probably be about 6 months). Annoying. But can I just say that the one good thing I about the medical insurance mess out there is that they can no longer bar you for what they consider preexisting conditions. Thank goodness.  (no thanks to you, Honduras). 

Our van had issues this week. Our air conditioner had issues this week. Our hot water heater had issues this week. which means I HAD ISSUES this week. oh my gosh.

My friend posted about a J.Crew warehouse sale that she heard about really close to us. She said she would meet up with me and a bunch of other pals. I went for my kids (because j.crew size I am not), and it was awesome! Before the sale was even a twinkling in my eye, I had long had my eye on one of their fancy dresses for Maddy's baptism dress. Also, if we are confessing all of our j.crew coveting sins, I also wanted a swimming suit they had. I found BOTH at the sale in her size! The swimming suit is still on the site for $55, I got it for $5. The dress is on the site for $198. I got it for $25. I got Maddy a nice wool coat with a hood, and four or five pairs of bermuda length shorts that are still on the site for $48 a piece. I got them for $5 a piece. Scorage!! (on a side note...why would you pay $48 for a pair of kids shorts?? I kept looking for the hidden golden nuggets. They must be in there somewhere?)

 (best part of the dress is it's beautifully long and puffy, and that sash makes into the most deliciously huge bow, which I intend to put in the front side. Cause we're SASSY like that).


this suit is the love of my life. it's right after my kids in line to my affections.


I like to pass along a good piece of reading that provokes thought and has added to my life. I read this essay years ago and I think about it at least once a week. I finally found it again and read it again and it was just as good the second time. But the funny thing? The part that stuck out to me over all of these years is not even the main point of the essay--well at least not as much as I remembered it to be. Funny how life is like that right? You take out the part that you need the most at the time? I repeat to myself over and over again that final tagline of the essay every week. Let it soak. There is a deep, and abiding wisdom to that. And when I get stressed and worry worry worry about things all of the time, I think back to that tagline and tell myself, Self, let it soak. Sometimes time is the only answer to making things easier.

That's all I've got this week. Let's hope for less ISSUES this week, and pray for the grace to let them soak if necessary (except if it's the hot water heater...then you should just probably stop that soaking).

6 comments:

Melanie and Jared said...

I love all the pics! Sales never happen to me. I always wonder how people find these mystical sales. I would loooove to see how your tables turn out. Please don't leave us out of the loop!!

Kelly said...

The table tops are so cute and women will come in wishing they had such creative blood! Sale like that is score of century!!! Good luck this week I hope things go better!

Missy said...

Love the balloon idea! Can't wait to see pics! Sorry about the stuff going out. Our water heater went out last year and when it rains it pours! I hope nothing else breaks! And you scored big! I can't wait to see Maddy in her dress!

Dee in BC said...

I love the balloon idea. When I read your per table budget I was stumped. Your creativity is amazing.

Timothy Dimmick said...

My dashboard doesn't work right any more, so on a night of insomnia I found you again, my sweet niece! I love your scorage and wish I'd been there too! Also.. If they had that swimsuit in your size, you'd totally rock it!! Love you!!

Emily Foley said...

Are you kidding me with the j. Crew sale? Seriously? If you ever go back get Zoe a baptism dress!!! seriously. :)

I'm sorry about the worries but I so loved that essay. Thanks for the link, and the memories her stories brought to my own mind.

Oh! And love the center pieces. You're amazing.